To submit your story, you’ll first need an audio file of your recording. There is a variety of ways to do this.
If you do not own a microphone, here are some common and completely legitimate ways to record your story through your computer or phone:
Mac users: QuickTime Player is a very simple way to record. Open the app, record your story, then save in an appropriate file format. Then head over to Submit Your Story to submit that file.
Windows users: Audacity is a useful free tool to record audio from your desktop or laptop. Open the app, hit record, tell your story, then save in an appropriate file format. After you have your file, head over to Submit Your Story to submit that file.
iPhone users: Voice Memos is a free app that should already be installed on your phone. Once you have taken your recording, you can attempt to submit the file through the website on your phone. It may be easier, however, to transfer the file to your computer first, which could be done with a quick email. If Voice Memos isn’t an option, there are plenty of other downloadable apps from the app store that get the job done just as well.
Android users: Smart Voice Recorder is a very usable downloadable app from the Google Play Store. Again, emailing the file to your computer will most likely be easier than trying to submit it via phone.
Tips for recording:
- Make sure you’re in a quiet area with little background noise or wind.
- Try to touch your recording device as little as possible while recording.
- Stay relatively close to the microphone while telling your story.
- Stories with a “climax” of some sort tend to work best with the music.
- Be sure to format your story in an organized fashion.